Monday 27 August 2018

What I get from Charles Duhigg

Charles Duhigg is the author of The Power of Habit. He may have written other books, and I know that he has a TED talk to his credit, but I haven't read or listened to them. So for now I'll confine myself to the one book.

You don't need to read further than the preface of The Power of Habit before you discover what I consider to be the most important concept with respect to language acquisition. It's the idea that some habits are so far-reaching and influential that they may be regarded as keystone habits

Exercising is one such habit. Engage in that, and other good habits will naturally follow. A keystone habit, therefore, has the power to transform your life.

I started such a habit 654 days ago. I made the decision to start a blog - 20 tongues 20 moons 60 years 100 words. On it I post 100-word entries about my personal language acquisition. It is the first thing that I do on arising.

This simple but powerful keystone habit keeps me on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment