Monday 27 August 2018

What I get from Heinrich Schliemann


"Who's Heinrich Schliemann?" you ask?

Well, okay. Maybe you don't ask. Maybe you'd just rather I tell you. Fair enough.

I first heard about Heinrich from two or three people: David Bolton (here), David Snopek (here) and Stephen Krashen (here and here). Because of that repetition, I'm usually able to recall the guy's name, (though I can never remember whether his surname ends with one 'n' or two).

He was a colorful character in many ways (e.g. smuggling Ancient Greece artifacts to Berlin). But it's his language learning ability I'm most interested in; he learned around 14 or 15.

Heinrich's basic technique - the 'Heinrich maneuver' - consists of going through a book, not looking up any words or consulting a grammar, and comparing sentences, one by one, your own language and the language that you want to learn.

That's it.

All you need is two copies of, say, Around the World in 80 Days. That and the willingness to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment