Thursday 16 August 2018

What I've learned from myself over the years

Presently I'm writing a series of posts about the various people and places - some of them unlikely - from which I've gathered my personal set of 'language-learning nuggets'. In the midst of doing so it suddenly struck me that I too am one such source. I've gleaned ideas from my head too. 

And so herewith and so forth . . . 

What have I learned from myself? What's the take-home message this 60-plus-year-old would suggest to a younger version of himself if he returned back from the future?

I'd begin by telling myself not to pigeonhole or put a label on myself. That is, I'm neither a great language learner nor a poor one. I've been both. I'm actually everything in between

What I mean by that is that how well I pick up a given language depends hugely upon the circumstances. I do well under the right circumstances; I get dismal results if they are wrong.

But I will say this: I'm not good at learning languages conventionally. 

I'm no good in a classroom. I hate public performance, working through exercises, memorizing vocabulary and attempting to remember grammatical rules. At best, that puts me to sleep; at worst, that generates antipathy.

Let's assume that it is preferable to master something quickly, efficiently and enjoyably. In that case, then, in order to optimize my chances it is vitally important first to maximize my environment. 

As a result, I've devised (and am continuing to refine) my own way of learning that addresses that. 

"Give yourself (I'd tell my younger self) the permission to be you, and to do it your way, especially if 'their way' (the mainstream) doesn't work. They are wrong and you are right - at least in your particular case."

No comments:

Post a Comment