Tuesday 17 July 2018

What Allen Carr (and to a lesser extent Edmund Hillary) gave me


Allen Carr is best known for his advice on how to stop smoking. He wrote a book about that subject, and several more in the same vein. One day I happened to read one: No More Worrying

The book is punchy. It's informally written. Its chapters are very short - less than a page on average - but numerous. The book gives the impression that it was written off the top of Allen's head.

So, what has this to do with language acquisition?

Well, from Allen I got the idea to write in a similar style. Not to over-think. Keep my phrasing short and light. Just set out and "knock the bugger off" as Sir Edmund Hillary reportedly said about conquering Mt. Everest.


  • Stream of consciousness stuff
  • Minimal planning 
  • Forging rapidly ahead
  • Tally ho and all that jazz



It enabled me to write No More English Worries (though I went a few steps further than Allen). 

I counted out the words and wrote exactly 100 words per chapter. Each chapter title is based on Allen's headings (plus a few extra). That helped to set the direction of my nose, which I then followed.

Ask me, and I may send you a copy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment