This relates to what I wrote earlier about developing a passion. Here, the type of passion I’d like to home in on is the fascination that you could develop concerning an aspect of the culture whose language you wish to learn.
Heck, that might actually BE the reason that you chose your language in the first place. Consider the people who learned. . .
- Dutch so they could join a Dutch football team.
- Japanese because they love manga and anime
- French because of wanting to become a chef.
- Spanish or Portuguese who were mad about a certain singer.
- Hindi in order to learn how to play the sitar.
- Italian so that they could compete at cycle racing
(I’m assuming that there are such people!)